What are nasolabial folds or smile lines?
What causes nasolabial folds?
- Aging: With aging you lose collagen and elastin. These are the most important elements that retain the elasticity and resilience of your skin. With time, the structure of your cheekbones will become more flat. As a result, your cheeks become saggy and deepens the folds around your cheeks. With aging, your skin results with wrinkles, loose skin and nasolabial folds.
- Smoking: Collagen and elastin in your skin gets destroyed faster with smoking. This speeds up aging and hence gives your wrinkles, folds and unhealthy skin.
- Sun & Pollution exposure: Harmful sun rays play a crucial role in breaking down collagen and elastin. Thus, resulting in wrinkles and uneven skin texture.
- Potential Weight loss or gain: Losing weight can result in extra looser skin. If you gain weight, the chubbier the cheeks become resulting in more prominent smile lines.
- Side sleeping: Side sleeping may result in deeper nasolabial folds. If it’s comfortable you can sleep on your back. Or else you can keep switching sides for sleeping. Only try them if they are convenient for you. Afterall, getting a sound good sleep is the best solution for your health and beauty.
- Genetics Your genetics also plays a major role in defining how our skin will age.
How to prevent nasolabial folds?
It’s much better to prevent the chances for fine lines rather than treating them.
The following remedies can help you reduce the risk of developing laugh lines and reduce its appearance.
• Healthy Diet & Exercise
• A big NO to Sun Exposure for Tanning
• Say Bye-Bye to Smoking
• Include antioxidants in skincare routine
• Moisturize twice a day
• Hello to Sunscreen
How to prevent nasolabial folds?
• Nasolabial Folds Filler
- Damaged blood vessels
- Infection and scarring
- Necrosis (tissue death)
To reduce nasolabial folds cosmetic surgeries including a cheek lift or face lift can be done. The procedure involves repositioning and reshaping your skin along with its underlying tissues.
Surgical procedures are not recommended, as it poses the risk of bleeding, infections, and other side effects. These surgical procedures may also cause complications and will take time for healing and recovery.
• Skin Resurfacing
The skin around the nasolabial folds can be made more youthful with the help of some skin resurfacing treatments. For instance, you can reduce age spots and scars with the help of laser skin resurfacing. Deep exfoliation can be done with Microdermabrasion. This gives a younger and thicker feel for your skin.
However, these treatments can help in reducing the prominent appearance of nasolabial folds. But they do not remove nasolabial folds.
• Skin Tightening Treatment
Skin tightening is done with the treatments like radiofrequency and ultrasound therapies. This stimulates collagen production and thus gives a better-looking skin.
Radiofrequency treatments require 2-6 sessions to get the expected results. You may also feel some heat during the long process.
• Thread lifts
Nasolabial folds exercises
Even though there are no reliable research to prove that facial exercises can reduce the appearance of nasolabial folds, anyone can try them as they are not harmful.
Some people have pointed that they saw visible results with facial exercises. Face muscles are believed to be toned just like any other group of muscles.
Exercise for nasolabial folds include the following steps:
- Pout your lips in an upward position, as if trying to kiss the top ceiling. Hold this pose for 15 seconds and do this 4-5 times.
- Pout your lips then pull the corners of the mouth out. Hold this pose for 15 seconds and do this for 4-5 times.
- Slightly open our mouth and pull the corners of the mouth further apart with both the index fingers (place it at the 2 corners of mouth). Hold this pose for 2—3 seconds and do it 25-50 times.
Nasolabial folds are completely normal part of your face. Even though, they get more prominent and deeper over time, it is totally up to your wish to keep it or change it.
Choosing anti-aging beauty and aesthetic devices will be a safe and risk-free option to consider, if you are not into cosmetic surgeries, nasolabial folds filler or any reshaping. If you are opting for any such cosmetic procedures should have a detailed discussion with their cosmetic surgeons and healthcare professionals.